This section is regularly added to.  Its where we share resources that either SENsational Families have produced or other organisations have and we believe maybe of help. 

If there is ever anything you feel would benefit yourself and others, do let us know by getting in contact with us and we will do what we can to either put together the relevant information or attempt to source it from elsewhere.

On the left hand side there is a list of categories which may make finding what you are looking for easier.

Many of the resources say "members only".  These are only accessible if you are a SENsational Friend.  Its very easy to become a Friend and there are two options, one of which is free.  Once you are a Friend, you need to login into the website by clicking the login button at the top right of this website.  You will then be able to access the "Friends Zone" and all Resources.

Click here for signposting

Dispute Resolution

Members only

EHCP - Health

Members only

EHC Plans - Advice on the Social Care Section

The Education Health and Care (EHC) Needs Assessment requires the local authority (LA) to seek advice and information about your child’s social care needs.

Hospital Visits

This is information relating to the NNUH


If you are given the right to appeal to the SEND tribunal (SENDIST) by the local authority (LA), you must first consider mediation. The letter from the LA will give the contact details of the mediator. You must contact them within 2 months of the date of that letter if you intend to appeal to the SENDIST (1). The mediation company will want to first talk to you and if you do not want to mediate, they must issue a mediation certificate within 3 working days (2). You do not have to mediate, and it will not reflect on tribunal if you say no. If you chose to use mediation, the meeting must be arranged within 30 days. There is no need to mediate for a school-only appeal.

Naming A School

When you receive your draft EHC plan, you are asked to name a school. There is a general principle that children will be educated where a parent chooses, as long as it ‘efficient’ and avoids unreasonable public expense (1).

Needs Assessment - Flowchart

Special educational needs and disability code of practice: 0-25 years, page 154

Needs Assessment - What Happens?

If the local authority (LA) decides to carry out a Needs Assessment, it has specific timescales to stick to, and must seek a range of advices covering education, health and social care.

Needs Assessment - What is it?

You, the school (or college) can ask the local authority (LA) for a Needs Assessment
if you believe that:

Needs Assessment - When should I ask?

An EHC plan can run from birth to 25yrs old. For some children, it is clear from birth that they do have Special Educational Needs (SEN) which will require an EHC plan to be written. For example, a child with Down’s Syndrome will have difficulties with speech, which in turn will affect their ability to read and write. The provision of speech and language therapy is not generally available to all pupils in mainstream, so this will be special educational provision (1). A Needs Assessment for an EHC plan can be requested before the child is of compulsory school age.

Private Diagnosis and Reports

There are plenty of places you can turn to get private reports and diagnoses done.

Section A

Members only

Section B

Members only

Section c

Members only

Section D

Members only

Section E

Section E details the outcomes being sought for you child. Outcomes are the effect of the provision in section F and should also relate to the aspirations written in section A. There should be a range of outcomes over varying timescales, covering education, health and social care.

Section F

This section describes all the special educational provision your child must have. It follows on from section B which described all of their special educational needs. This section is written after section B, but before section E (outcomes) and section I (educational placement). It is not until sections B and F are written, can it be known whether a school can meet the child’s needs (1).

Section G

This section should detail any health provision reasonably required by your child’s special educational needs (SEN). Provision should be detailed and specific and should normally be quantified, for example, in terms of the type of support and who will provide it (1).

Section H1

Section H1 states the provision which must be made to meet your child’s needs under section 2 of the Chronically Sick and Disabled Person’s Act (CSDPA) 1970. If you have had a ‘Child in Need’ (CiN) (1) assessment, also known as a ‘section 17’, it should be clear what support your child needs. All disabled children are considered a CiN and eligible for an assessment (2).

Section H2

This section is for any other social care provision reasonably required by the learning difficulties or disabilities which result in your child or young person having Special Educational Needs (SEN) (4)

SENsational Families is registered in England and Wales under charity number 1173051.
Log in | Powered by White Fuse